background image
- 22 - 
outside after encountering electrical lines while searching inside the mosque. Fire 
officials said they believe the mosque is a total loss. 
October 31, Burlington County Times
 – (New Jersey) 3-alarm fire torches wild 
animal zoo. People and animals were injured in a three-alarm fire that broke out 
October 30 at Animal Kingdom in Springfield, New Jersey. Two officers sustained 
minor injuries and two giraffes were hurt in the fire, which started at around 8:40 p.m. 
and was contained shortly before midnight, a Burlington County Central 
Communications supervisor said. Firefighters from several departments battled the 
flames, which caused structural collapse, the supervisor said. The cause of the fire is 
under investigation. This is the second fire at the zoo in 2011. A fire that broke out in 
April claimed the life of its owner. 
October 31, New York Daily News
 – (New York) Woman fights for life after teens 
throw shopping cart four-stories in Harlem Target parking garage. A woman was 
clinging to life October 30 after a shopping cart — pushed off a ledge by a group of 
teens in East Harlem, New York — plummeted four stories and landed on her head, 
cops and witnesses said. The woman was with a young boy when the red cart dropped 
from a walkway that connects a Target store to a parking lot, cops and witnesses said. 
A witness said he spotted the teens pushing the cart near the fourth-level parking lot. 
“Whatever happens, happens,” the witness said one of the teens responded before they 
launched the cart from the overhead walkway. The cart bounced off a sign before 
landing on the woman below, witnesses said. Emergency workers responded within 
minutes and rushed the woman to Harlem Hospital, where she was in critical condition 
late October 30. 
October 30, Appleton Post-Crescent
 – (Wisconsin) 11 treated after carbon monoxide 
leak in New London. Authorities said 11 people were treated at hospitals and released 
after a carbon monoxide leak at a 16-unit apartment October 30 in New London, 
Wisconsin. The New London fire chief said firefighters think a broken exhaust pipe on 
a hot water heater in the basement was the probable cause for the carbon monoxide 
leak, which led firefighters to evacuate the entire apartment building. An ambulance 
responded for four people who reported being ill in one apartment. Five ambulances 
were summoned from New London, Bear Creek, Clintonville, Fremont, and Manawa to 
take ill patients to hospitals. Two patients originally seen at New London were 
seriously ill and transferred to St. Elizabeth, where a hyperbaric chamber is located. All 
patients had been released by the evening of October 30. Firefighters found carbon 
monoxide levels as high as 615 parts per million (ppm) inside one of the apartments, 
and as high as 1,115 ppm in the basement. Officials said carbon monoxide of 50 ppm is 
considered the maximum allowable continuous concentration for an 8-hour period.